Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Squirrelly

Had a fairly decent day at work today - especially telling my team that the new company that bought us does their reviews on a different cycle than our old company so they all had one day to get me their self appraisals. They took it fairly well and all went to work on them, now the only slacker in the group is ME! I cannot tell you how much I HATE doing a self appraisal. I know that this is your opportunity to tell the world about what a wonderful asset you have been to the company. But it always sounds so contrived and just rings false. I am not a toot-my-own-horn kind of person.

Bummed a ride home with AGOL as Guy (husband) had to come to the rescue of a damsel in distress who locked her keys in her car. Getting off the elevator in the parking garage we were greeted by a squirrel who was trying to get something out of the garbage can. He was really cute and just froze in place staring at us...probably wondering which nut he could take down! AGOL struggled to get her camera out and capture the moment on digital film so she just kept telling me to keep staring at him so he wouldn't leave. After a brief moment she got the camera - just in time for the little guy to fall completely into the garbage can. The flip-top lid came closed and the squirrel was trapped.

Well, neither of us marshmallows could allow the little rodent to stay trapped in a garbage can - (although we did get a good laugh at the imagined sight of some poor unsuspecting facility person going to empty the trash and getting a squirrel surprise!) So I gingerly walked over to the receptacle and tried to push the lid in, hoping for a quick escape. AGOL stood there armed with the camera, presumably to fend off the little beastie if he attacked - but more likely she was hoping to catch me in a very funny moment of squirrel terror. (I was once bitten by a squirrel as a child - long story, but I know those teeth hurt!) Unfortunately every time I lifted the lid, the squirrel moved inside the can and I screamed - which did not endear me to the squirrel. I finally removed the lid completely and we walked away. Knowing that we had done our best to give him an escape route. As we walked to the car we looked back and he was scampering away from the can and out of the garage. All is well that ends well.

No comments: